Wednesday, February 15, 2012

"One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple." ~Jack Kerouac Now use simple words to describe something that deeply matters to you.

Simple words. I love this quote and the concept. It isn't necessary to hide the true meaning of what you're saying behind a mountain of words. As Jack Kerouac explains, complicated, complex words lose people whereas simple words "shine like beacons of light."

I've stated previously that I love being a grandmother with all my heart. But I feel that I need to expand more on this feeling--to try and describe it in simple words.

When I love my baby granddaughter, I invest a piece of myself in future generations. The affection and values I instill in her will carry forth after I'm gone. That's such a gratifying feeling.

My granddaughter Aubree doesn't judge me. She doesn't suspect ulterior motives, search for double meanings, or try to read between the lines. She doesn't care if I'm rich or poor, cute or homely, klutzy or graceful.

Aubree loves my songs even when I sing off-key. She smiles at me even when my jokes are corny. Her eyes light up when she sees me even when I'm wearing sweats and a T-shirt and having a bad hair day.

To my granddaughter, it doesn't matter that I'm not the smartest, the prettiest, or the most popular. I give her love, attention, and protection from harm. That's all it takes to be perfect in Aubree's eyes, and the feeling is mutual.

No comments:

Post a Comment