Wednesday, February 1, 2012

"The difference between a mountain and a molehill is your perspective." ~ Al Neuharth How might you shift your perspective on something that feels daunting?

One of my friends declares in the "about me" section of her Facebook page that she's "committed to living in solidarity, manning up, and shifting the paradigm." Knowing this particular friend as I do, she's definitely speaking tongue-in-cheek, but her statement makes me think about the meaning of "shifting the paradigm." I imagine it's essentially a change of perspective in a large, world-view sort of way.

My own personal perspective or paradigm is unique to me. It's my view of the universe derived from the place I'm currently standing. Because nobody else can stand in my exact spot, no one can exactly share my perspective. One way to change my perspective would be to put myself in someone else's shoes by using the tools of projection and empathy to view a situation from another's vantage point. Often times that's much easier said than done. I remember an example given by one of my college professors to illustrate how a change in perspective can drastically alter what is perceived. Imagine looking down at a spiral staircase from a bird's-eye view. It would appear that a person on that staircase is going in circles, getting nowhere fast. Then imagine looking at the spiral staircase from the side. Now you're aware that the person is climbing upwards in addition to circling. It's definitely not the most direct upwards route, but the individual is ascending nevertheless. Sometimes you need to apply this image to your life; look at it from a different perspective and you will see that you are indeed improving yourself and getting somewhere rather than traveling in circles or stuck in a rut.

I also work to change my perspective in this way: Instead of recounting the things I have to do which chip away at the hours in my day, I attempt to think in terms of the things I get to do. I try to live in the present and enjoy the gifts I've been given. As an example, at those times when my noon exercise class feels like an interruption in my day that I just don't have the energy for, I remind myself that I'm lucky to be in good health, I enjoy being active,  I relish the break in my work day, and I'm fortunate to work in a place where such classes are freely available. Therefore I will gratefully seize the opportunity to go to class.

One rainy, dreary Monday morning when I left the house for work, I discovered that the battery in my car had died. I called my husband to come to my rescue and as I waited the 45 minutes for him to arrive, I wished I had just pulled the covers up over my head and stayed in my comfortable bed that morning. It took my friend's comments to change my viewpoint. She gently reminded me, "You have a car. You have a husband who cares. You have a job and a warm bed to come home to. You're having a great day even if you don't realize it." Sometimes it just takes a change in perspective to realize how lucky I really am.

No comments:

Post a Comment