Thursday, February 16, 2012

"Without work all life goes rotten." ~ Albert Camus What's the value of the work you do?

This is a very good question. Unfortunately, I'm usually consumed with thinking about what I don't like about my work and the annoyances of my job. Rarely do I consider its intrinsic value. But everyone needs to know their work isn't pointless; that it has a positive impact. If I take my humble salary and a basic lack of recognition out of the equation, I can still find some nuggets of value in my work.

Most obviously, my work contributes toward education by making resources available, whether those resources are of the electronic or print variety. I'm responsible for gathering, organizing, and describing these learning materials so that they're easily accessible to students and the general public. Less visible but just as important is my role with student assistants. Their library jobs are often the first time these students have ever worked. They learn to establish a work ethic; to be accountable and responsible. As employees ourselves, we serve as role models to our student assistants. My work also has some historic significance; the library archives preserves pieces of history important to the University, the Baptist community, and beyond. For example, I had a role in organizing and making accessible the personal papers of ex Attorney General Griffin Bell, which included correspondence from several U.S. Presidents and other foreign leaders.

It's so easy to get lost in the frustrations of the job. When my work-a-day world gets me down, I need to remind myself of its inherent worth. My work gives me the opportunity to contribute to two causes I believe in:  education and historic preservation.

No comments:

Post a Comment