Tuesday, November 15, 2011

#6) Religion without sacrifice.

No matter what your religion is, it seems to me that sacrifice would be an important component. Without sacrifice, you're merely putting up a facade. You're paying lip service to a belief but not actually living the belief.

It's certainly necessary for me to sacrifice in order to live my life according to the Golden Rule. To be a good parent, spouse, daughter, friend and co-worker, I've often had to defer my own wants, needs and desires without worrying about getting credit or receiving recognition. Good relationships require compromise, and compromise requires sacrifice.

My problem is that I tend to sacrifice too much, and then I become resentful and completely lose my sense of self. It's important to remember that by definition, compromise isn't one-sided. Compromise requires that both sides make concessions. I need to learn to walk the fine line between sacrifice and self-preservation/self-fulfillment. I'm working on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment