Thursday, November 24, 2011

What are you grateful for on this Thanksgiving Day?

A much harder question to answer would be what's NOT to be thankful for?

On Thanksgiving morning, I awoke in my warm, comfortable bed and arose planning to attend the "Pre-Turkey Burnoff," an intense work-out taking place at a gym across town and lead by one of the most dynamic and motivating exercise instructors I've ever known. It was a frosty, invigorating 32-degree morning as I gathered together with 70+ other health-conscious attendees, and all seemed to be in a festive mood as they joked about burning off their calorie-laden meals in advance. I was thankful for the opportunity and the good health to undertake such an ambitious, early morning endeavor.

Upon arriving home, I began the day-long process of preparing our traditional, abundant and beloved Thanksgiving feast--complete with turkey and all the trimmings. The previous evening, Julie and I had a giggly, fun time crafting some pilgrim's hats and turkeys out of cookies and candy as treats/table decorations. My grandma's lace tablecloth adorned the table, and places were set with china and silver for the special occasion. Around our table sat six VIPs including myself and five of my loves--my mother, my husband, two of our daughters, and our son-in-law. Under the table sat Lily, begging for the occasional table scrap offered by her dog-loving "grandfather."  The lively dinner conversation centered on the impending birth of an exciting early Christmas gift--Michelle and Craig's daughter Aubree--and the anticipation of a Florida trip at Christmas time.

The evening following the meal was restful and mellow, yet warm and companionable. A check of the computer revealed thoughtful Thanksgiving greetings from friends near and far. It was a day filled with much reflection, and more than any other Thanksgiving, I was constantly mindful and conscious of everything I have to be grateful for. Most of all, I was tremendously thankful for another day in this life of mine, and the generous opportunity to live it well.


No comments:

Post a Comment