Monday, November 28, 2011

What secret are you keeping?

I can't think of any secrets I'm keeping for myself, but I am keeping two secrets for others. A co-worker entrusted me with a secret regarding a situation with her son, and a neighbor confided a secret regarding her husband's health issues. Both asked me not to tell anyone else, and I won't give any more details here in case someone tracks me down through my blog. In both cases, I'm very honored that they chose to confide in me and that they consider their secrets safe with me. I wouldn't dream of betraying them.

I take being asked to keep a secret seriously, and it's not hard for me to do. I know others who couldn't keep secrets if their lives depended on it, and I've seen the repercussions. I don't understand people who love to divulge news that isn't their own; I guess it's for that momentary satisfaction of being in the spotlight and commanding the center of attention.

However, I don't think I'd be able to keep a secret if it was harmful for someone else not to know about it. Luckily, I can't recall a time that I've ever been in that position.

No comments:

Post a Comment